Friday, September 16, 2016

BISHOP ACKUN SAID YES!

Many many years ago, while still a student at The University of Ghana, Legon, and before two of my uncles became a Pastor and a Priest, I went to visit my "old" Church - Victory Bible Church International, Kokomlemle.  After the service, I waited to say "hello" to my "old" Pastor, Pastor Ackun. He was happy that I had made Church that day but he wanted to know why he was not "seeing" me in Church anymore. I told him it was the distance. That the journey seemed a bit much so I went with my mum to the Methodist Church which was nearer home. He said he understood. Then, he did something which has since stayed with me - he gave me money! So this is not about the money, I can't even remember how much it was. I can remember clearly however that I was shocked. He said to use it for transportation ... buy fuel ... just try to visit once in awhile.

I am not sure even he realised the impact of that simple gesture on me. Here was a man of God, a Pastor, sitting down with me, genuinely happy to see me and asking about my welfare, talking about mundane stuff like school ... not witchcraft or spiritual attacks or anything like that. And then, digging into his pocket and giving me money to facilitate my attending Church. How very practical! How kind! How human! Isn't this what Christianity is supposed to be about?

As I drove back home that Sunday, I said to myself, when the time comes for me to exchange vows with that person whom I willingly give the power to make or break me, it has to be Pastor Ackun officiating. He has to be the one interceding on my behalf on that all important day.

You see, I don't take these things lightly. For me, the significance of that ceremony on a life needs an intermediary you trust to have a real relationship with God, a good heart, somebody who has your welfare at heart and will atleast occasionally remember you in prayer. A wedding, at least for me, has to be meaningful - there will be plenty opportunities for "show" later, no? Should it not be a gathering of well wishers in celebration? Ok, we may not be sure of the intentions of our "well wishers" (maybe I've seen too many Nigerian movies) but, we can atleast be sure of the one administering the vows! The one officiating this "journey of no return".

That day I thanked God for providing the Pastor and reminded him about the "groom".

Many many years later, he provided the groom. I said Yes! (Of course 😁) And then I thought about Pastor Ackun. At this time, I had not seen him in years. Still, it had to be him! The boo drove with me one evening after work to meet with Bishop Ackun (now). We asked him together to do us the honour of officiating our marriage ceremony. He said "Yes"! Thank God! And the man who works for him!😊

No comments:

Post a Comment